- White Onion, Medium Diced2 Cup(s)
- Corn1 Cup(s)
- Peas1 Cup(s)
- Carrots, Medium Diced1 Cup(s)
- Green Beans, Chopped1 Cup(s)
- Tomato, Medium Diced1
- Tomato Paste2 Tablespoon(s)
- Vegetable Stock/Water
- Cayenne pepper1/4 Teaspoon(s)
- Fresh Thyme1 Tablespoon(s)
- Fresh Oregano1 Tablespoon(s)
- Garlic Cloves - Minced4
- Julienned basil leaves1/4 Cup(s)
- Pasta1/2 Pound(s)
- Extra virgin olive oil
A great hearty soup packed with vegetables and a delicious broth. A perfect soup for vegetarians or anyone dealing with a low sodium CKD diet. Containing no animal protein, this soup is also very low in protein for anyone who is watching their protein intake as well. Although it has some potassium, you can opt to leave out the tomatoes and tomato paste to significantly reduce the potassium in this dish.
- Start by adding your olive oil to the stock pot and bringing it to heat. Add your onions and carrots and cook on medium-low for 2-3 minutes.
- Add additional veggies and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, basil, thyme, and cayenne pepper and cook for 1-3 minutes.
- Add enough vegetable stock or water to cover by twice the height of the veggies, add tomato paste and stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 1-1.5 hours.
- Add your pasta and cook until al dente (or your desired tenderness).